Don't know what to do?
Get free counseling

UK Dependent Visa


If you are a UK citizen or hold a certain visa and wish to bring your family to live with you in the UK, the Dependent Visa process can help. This visa allows you to bring your spouse or partner, children, parents, and other close relatives to the UK. However, navigating the complexities of the dependent visa process can be challenging. That's where BMC can assist you in understanding the details of the process and applying for the visa with the greatest likelihood of success.

Dependents include:

  • Spouse or legal partner
  • Child under 18
  • A child over 18 if they’re currently in the UK as a dependent


The applicant must prove that he can support his dependents when they are in the UK. He must prove that he has the required funds by showing his bank statement.


If you are looking to bring your family to the UK or want to migrate to UK with family, through a Dependent visa, there are several methods available to you. As a Tier 2 visa holder, you can apply for a dependent visa to bring your spouse and children to the UK. This visa permits you to work and study in the UK, subject to certain limitations, and after 5 years, you can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain to settle permanently in the country. Another option is the UK Parent, Spouse, or Child Visa, which allows British citizens and settled individuals to bring their dependent spouse, parents, or children who are not currently in the UK to live with them. This visa is valid for 2 years and 6 months and can be extended. If you require assistance navigating the Dependent visa application process, BMC can provide expert guidance to help you achieve the best outcome.


The Dependent Visa category is designed to enable the family and children of a UK citizen or permanent resident to apply and join them in the UK. The sponsor, who is the UK permanent resident or applicant, is responsible for supporting the visa application of their family members. This visa applies to both family and children who are dependents of the sponsor.


If you are granted a Dependent Visa for the UK, you will not have access to public funds. Your sponsor must demonstrate sufficient financial means to support you and agree to sponsor your stay before your application can be approved.
Once approved, you will have unrestricted freedom to live in the UK, with no work restrictions. You can work in UK with any job at any skill level.
Tier 2 dependent visa holders can stay in the UK for the same duration as the main Tier 2 visa holder. Additionally, you can study or take a postgraduate course under certain conditions, and apply to extend your visa in compliance with the primary applicant, as long as you continue to meet the eligibility criteria. However, you cannot access public funds, work as a doctor in training or dentist, or serve as a professional sports instructor.


If you hold a Dependent Visa, you are not entitled to public funds, so you must demonstrate that your sponsor has the financial resources to support you and is willing to do so before your application can be approved. If your application is successful, you will be allowed to enter and live in the UK without any restrictions on work, meaning you can work at any skill level or job.
As a Tier 2 Dependent Visa holder, you can stay in the UK for the same duration as the main Tier 2 visa holder. You are permitted to work with some exceptions, study in UK or take a postgraduate course under certain conditions, and extend your visa in accordance with the main applicant's eligibility conditions. However, if the primary visa holder leaves the UK, you will not be eligible to extend your visa. It is also important to note that you cannot access public funds or work as a trainee doctor, dentist, or professional sports instructor.


By meeting the immigration criteria for the Dependency Visa, you can obtain indefinite leave to remain in the UK. Once you have spent a continuous period of 5 years in the UK as a Dependency Visa holder, you can apply for British naturalization and become a citizen of the UK.


If you're applying for a Dependent Visa, you have the option to apply from inside or outside the UK. The documents you'll need to provide vary depending on the route you're taking. Some typical documents include your passport and travel history, background documents, marriage certificate or other proof of relationship, income proof of your sponsor, completed application, and consulate fees. If you're applying from within the UK, you can switch to a family visa if you're already in the UK on another visa.
Once your application is approved, you'll receive a biometric residence permit (BRP) by courier, typically within 7 to 10 days of receiving your decision letter from the Home Office. You don't need to collect it in person, but if it doesn't arrive, you can make an online application.

Applying from the outside the UK

Those who want to live with their spouse, partner, child, parent, or relative in the UK can apply for a family visa. As part of their application process, they must provide biometric data, which includes fingerprints and a photograph, at a visa application center to obtain a biometric residence permit. The permit should be obtained within 30 days of their arrival in the UK. The processing time for the visa may vary based on the applicant's location and additional services that may be available.

Eligibility Points Calculator

Calculate your CRS score

Steps to apply for the express entry program

uk-dependent-visa has one of the world's most forward thinking immigration programs. There are multiple programs by which one can apply ot migrate to uk-dependent-visa.

Step 1:

Step 2:

Step 3:

can help ?

Applying for the UK dependent visa requires a meticulous and thorough approach. BMC can help you get the right documentation so that your initial application has the highest chance of success. Our services include:

  • Guiding you in choosing the right immigration strategy
  • Completing the visa documents checklist
  • Assistance during application processing
  • Forms, documentation & application filing
  • Updates & follow up
  • Relocation and post-landing support in the UK

When you sign up with BMC, a dedicated immigration consultant will be appointed to help you with your process. Reach out to us today before visa and immigration rules become stricter.

Looking for Inspiration

Explore what Global Indians have to say about BMC in shapping their future